• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Midlands Watch 23/24

Who’d have thought that losing a forward could have such dire implications? The ‘keeper, a defender or maybe a pivotal midfield player maybe🤷🏼‍♂️ They’d still be able to play one up front, which some ‘74 fans would see as a luxury. In Barnes own words, it was a strong squad they put out last night, one he expected to show their mettle and the fans what’s been missing this season. Which makes the result all the more surprising.
And in other shock news, Vics blame the ref for FOUR goals!

Attachments

• 7420FB08-A473-40B0-80DD-16FE3998DE4F.jpeg
    7420FB08-A473-40B0-80DD-16FE3998DE4F.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 18
Only 7 for Congleton yesterday & Lichfield lost 4-0 which means one point from their last two games should give the Bears the title

Would think they will go into our league as they are further north than several of the current clubs such as Leek, Chasetown and Hednesford.

Would think they will go into our league as they are further north than several of the current clubs such as Leek, Chasetown and Hednesford.
Reckon you’re right. That said, all placing across Step 4 (as with 5 & 6) will depend on respective promotions/relegations and where there are gaps to fill. However Hednesford, Chasetown, Kidsgrove, Hanley and Newcastle must be ahead of them if any movement was to happen. All hypothetical of course.

Congleton promoted as champions from the Midland League.

Vics beaten 2-1 in the Mid Cheshire Cup final by Witton.

*I see our posts have crossed, Stephen!

Litchfield have 1 point from 9 & have blown their chances of winning the league.
You wouldn’t fancy them to win the play-offs now either

Litchfield have 1 point from 9 & have blown their chances of winning the league.
My money is on Stourport.

The league makes interesting reading. This season as few as 62 but more likely 65 or 66 points should clinch a play off spot. Not sure what the situation is next season. I did read somewhere that it was top two finishers at Step 5 gain automatic promotion, though that may just have been wishful thinking by the poster in question 👀😁

Attachments

• 9683CCB0-C3EA-4D44-BA3E-F792B021FAF5.jpeg
    9683CCB0-C3EA-4D44-BA3E-F792B021FAF5.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 6
Darlaston hammered Lichfield last week so I’ll curse them by tipping them.
There’s definitely play-offs at step 5, not top 2 up

Hopefully play-offs, gives us more of a chance.

I can’t see them scrapping play-offs as it keeps clubs interested
Unless it’s 2 straight-up & a third via the play-offs

as a benchmark exercise , I saw Lichfield narrowly beat Alsager ( Step 6 NWC) on pens in the Vase last Autumn, so if that counts for anything, the Mids League Step 5 hasnt the depth in quality as strong as the NWC.
There again if your aunty had bolL... she would probably be your uncle

Congleton promoted as champions from the Midland League.

Vics beaten 2-1 in the Mid Cheshire Cup final by Witton.

*I see our posts have crossed, Stephen!
I think this has been a masterstroke from Congleton. Admittedly Congleton is further South but they must have looked at the level of Quality in the Midland league compared to the NWCFL and thought this is our chance.
They've taken being moved leagues on board and gone for it. I genuinely think they will do OK in the NPL west. Very Shrewd.
If I remember right it's similar to what Hanley did.
And yes it's always nice to win some silverware especially beating who we beat.

I think this has been a masterstroke from Congleton. Admittedly Congleton is further South but they must have looked at the level of Quality in the Midland league compared to the NWCFL and thought this is our chance.
They've taken being moved leagues on board and gone for it. I genuinely think they will do OK in the NPL west. Very Shrewd.
If I remember right it's similar to what Hanley did.
And yes it's always nice to win some silverware especially beating who we beat.
I think after wriggle free of lateral movement the previous season, Congleton saw the writing on the wall, accepted that their name would be in the frame and planned accordingly. Their pragmatism meant they had a head start in planning for the 23/24 season. All credit to them in getting organised, grabbing the new opportunity and running with it . It certainly not done their gate receipts any harm either. Winsford and Vics in my view wasted crucial planning time with what was always going to be a futile appeal. Both will obviously hope for better campaigns next season, after experiencing a bit of learning curve.

Reactions: Ben
Highgate looking like they’re running into a bit of form at the right time too.
Kiss of death. Lost away to Vics last night, play-off hopes thwarted.

Attachments

• IMG_1983.jpeg
    IMG_1983.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 9
Back